5 Top Tips for Training your Puppy to Welcome Visitors – Fact Sheet
For new puppy owners here are the 5 top tips to training
1. Set your puppy up for success – ask every visitor to offer your pup a treat before they have any other interaction with the puppy.
2. Be generous with treats – reward appropriate behaviour.
3. Confine your puppy when not supervised – It’s easy for a puppy to learn annoying habits when you are not at home. If you can’t actively supervise your puppy, confine them to a play pen, crate or small room.
4. Spend time socialising – up until about 18 weeks of age is the most important developmental. Expose them to as many situations and people as possible including people in uniforms, motor bikes, skateboards etc
5. .Do not fuss if they react – if your puppy is afraid of something or barks at a visitor or stranger, take your puppy a short distance away so that they no longer react.